Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Advertising Trading Card

Welcome back! Before we get started on today's post, I'd like to encourage you to go to Saturday's post titled "This, from a Beer Company - Really?" It appears I need to work a bit on my post titles, but I promise you, the images on that post are worth the visit!

Today, from a Victorian scrapbook, I'm sharing an advertising trading card. Even though it's more about the image (beautiful design!) this particular card advertises "Dr. James' Universal Ague Pills." Well, I like to be able to say a little something about the images, but was at a loss on this particular advertisement! So, just for kicks, I decided to Google the subject. Can you believe I actually found a couple of results! Still don't know exactly what these pills were for, but the first link took me to an e-book titled "The Statutes at Large from Magna Charta to [the Forth-first Year..., Volume 9" by Great Britain. The search took me to a page of medicinal preparations which were subject to duties in 1785! So this particular product had been around for about 100 years prior to this scrapbook! Being of a curious nature, I had to then look up the definition of ague. I found it in the "Dictionary of Domestic Medicine," by J.H. Clarke, published in 2000. The book definition is "Fever occurring in marshy places, coming in paroxysms of one, two, or more days' interval; commencing with chill, and followed by heat and sweat." The author sites other sources in further explanation, and upon further reading, it appears this was no ordinary fever. There were even different treatments for "fat" and "thin" children (his words - not mine!) and based on hair and eye colors!

O.k., I understand that's probably more than you never wanted to know about the advertisement itself, lol! On now to the image! It's being offered today in it's original format, and again with the text removed so you can add any sentiment you wish for your projects!

Thank you for stopping by today :) Hugs d.




No comments:

Post a Comment